This is one of the departments which operates under the Pastoral arm. The main function of this department is to coordinate all catechetical activities in the diocese. This involves religious instructions at all levels of the diocese in order to deepen understanding about the Gospel, promotion of faith and spiritual formation.
The chief duty of the department is to see to it that the Church’s doctrines and catechesis are taught in the manner that fits the church and her teachings. It is responsible in moderating the systematic formation of catechumens, catechetical instructions in primary schools, secondary schools and collages. It is the duty of the department to prepare properly the Catechists so that they are equipped enough to teach religion at all levels of learning. The department is squarely responsible for the on going formation of all Christians. The department makes constant review, in collaboration with TEC Catechetical department, of the syllabus and learning materials required for teaching and learning religion.
General objectives of the department
To see to it that the first diocesan synod resolutions related to catechesis are implemented by putting in place the programme or action plan.
To see to it that religion is instructed in schools and colleges.
– To carry out seminars in parishes, especially on catechists in the field, providing them with tutorial skills.
– To foster family apostolate by training trainers.
– To supervise and monitor the sacramental instructions in parishes.
– To improve the economic conditions of catechists by training them through seminars on Income Generating Projects and entrepreneurship.
– Proceeding with preparing a write up on catechists’ means of transport ie bicycles. In the Diocese of Kigoma jurisdiction there are
27 Parishes, 286 outstations,2231 SCCs, 571 primary Schools, 135 Secondary Schools, 11 Colleges, 562 Catechists, 1363 Catholic Professional Teaches. Among these only 226 (priests, Catechists and the laity) teach religions. To these and through these the Department has to minister to the people of God in Kigoma. Much more efforts are needed to encourage and motivate stakeholders to volunteer in teaching religion.
|S/N||PARISH||OUTSTATIONS||SCCs||P/SCHOOLS||SEC.SCHOOLS||COLLEGES||CATECHISTS||CATH TEACHERS||WHO TEAH REL|